Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Kéthani - Review


Title: Kéthani

Author: Eric Brown

Synopsis: “When a mysterious alien race known as the Kéthani make contact with the people of Earth they bring with them the dubious gift of eternal life. These enigmatic aliens will change the course of the human race forever but also touch people’s live on a personal level, not least in a small town in the English countryside. But do the Kéthani have a hidden agenda and will the human race choose to evolve or turn in on itself in the face of this momentous revelation?”

Review: **Spoiler Alert** Science Fiction is my favorite genre. It’s also the genre about which I’m the pickiest. I really enjoyed Brown’s previous novel Helix. I was disappointed with Kéthani. Part of this is my fault. I thought that it was going to be an aliens-take-over-the-Earth horror/science fiction novel. It’s not. This novel is about everyone learning to live in peace and harmony and the implications of immortality. Can you say boring? The second cause of disappointment (this is the one that is not my fault) is the constantly switching points of view. Similar to the horrible book I read yesterday, Ex-heroes, Kéthani is written in part first person and part third person points of view, and the first person sections are not always in the head of the same person. It’s head-hopping and I hate it! If an author is going to write in first person they need to pick a character’s head to be in and stay there! This is another book to avoid if you can.

Publisher: Solaris
ISBN: 978-1844167128

Skip this book and read one of these instead:



Helix by Eric Brown (ISBN: 978-1844164721)



Beholder’s Eye by Julie E. Czerneda (ISBN: 978-0886778187)

No comments:

Post a Comment