Friday, November 9, 2012

Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End - Review


Title:  Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End
Author: Manel Loureiro
Translated to English By: Pamela Carmell


SynopsisThe dead rise…
A mysterious incident in Russia, a blip buried in the news – it’s the only warning humanity receives that civilization will soon be destroyed by a single, voracious virus that creates monsters of men.

Humanity falls…
A lawyer, still grieving over the death of his young wife, begins to write as a form of therapy.  But he never expected that his anonymous blog would ultimately record humanity’s last days.

The end of the world has begun…
Governments scramble to stop the zombie virus, people panic, so-called “Safe Havens” are established, the world erupts into chaos; soon it’s every man, woman, and child for themselves.  Armed only with makeshift weapons and the will to live, a lone survivor will give mankind one last chance against…
Apocalypse Z

Review:  I’ll admit that I have become addicted to zombie apocalypse fiction.  I'm pretty sure it was after reading Feed by Mira Grant (the best zombie novel ever, by the way.  Read my review of Feed here).  I have been devouring everything zombie apocalypse based since then.  I've also been sleeping with the lights on, and a baseball bat under the bed.    
          I loved Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End by Manel Loureiro, which was translated into English by Pamela Carmell, and it has been added to my list of the top ten zombie novels.  I literally had to force myself to put my Kindle down long enough to write papers, eat, go to class and go to work.  I stayed up way past my bedtime for three nights in a row, unable to stop reading long enough to get any sleep.  I was sure that this novel was going to end in tragedy.  The engaging first person narrative, and the story about the nameless lawyer and his cat searching for a safe place during the nightmare of a zombie apocalypse, kept me on the edge of my seat.  I became so emotionally involved in Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End that I found myself getting upset when things looked bleak.  This is a definite must read for lovers of zombie fiction!    

Publisher: AmazonCrossing

If you like this book you may also want to read:

The Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant



World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks





2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Great review, I've just followed you! :)

    Cheers,
    J.H. Myn

    http://jhmyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I'm a new follower from over at Book Blogs! I have 2 giveaways going on right now if you'd like to enter, one only has 10 hours left. Just click on the giveaways tab to check them out. Either way I would be thrilled if you would stop by for a visit. Here's the link if you would like to follow back: MaMa's Book Corner Have a great Saturday! :)

    ReplyDelete