Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Review: Junkyard Cats

 


Title:  Junkyard Cats   

Author: Faith Hunter

Series:  Junkyard Cats #1

Synopsis: “After the Final War, after the appearance of the Bug aliens and their enforced peace, Shining Smith is still alive, still doing business from the old scrapyard bequeathed to her by her father.  But Shining is now something more than human.  And the scrapyard is no longer just a scrapyard, but a place full of secrets that she has guarded for years.

    “This life she has built, while empty, is predictable and safe.  Until the only friend left from her previous life shows up, dead, in the back of a scrapped Tesla warplane, a note to her clutched in his fingers – a note warning her of a coming attack.

    “Someone knows who she is.  Someone knows what she is guarding.  Will she be able to protect the scrapyard?  Will she even survive?  Or will she have to destroy everything she loves to keep her secrets out of the wrong hands?”

Review:  I love Faith Hunter’s books.  Most people know her through her Jane Yellowrock series, but I found her through her Rogue Mage Trilogy which is still one of my favorite series of all time.  One of the main reasons I love Faith Hunter’s books is her superb character AND world building.  With most authors you get one or the other, but with Hunter you get both!  I truly feel for the characters; and can almost see, smell, and taste the world they live in. 

    While reading Junkyard Cats I kept getting pulled away to do other things, which was torturous.  I was so into the characters and the story that I just HAD to know what was going to happen next.  Finally, when I got to the final 25% I put on my noise cancelling headphones, turned off my phone, and told everyone to leave me alone until I was done!  No one will be surprised that my favorite character was Tuffs, the alpha female cat.  I loved the development of the bond between Shining and Tuffs.  My only complaint is that Junkyard Cats is short, 106 pages on Kindle, and I wanted more. 

Publisher: Lore Seekers Press

If you like this book you may want to read:





Blood of the Earth (Soulwood #1) by Faith Hunter





Rogue Mage Trilogy by Faith Hunter





The Voodoo Killings (Kincaid Strange #1) by Kristi Charish (See BookGirlR's review here)

No comments:

Post a Comment