Saturday, March 6, 2021

Review: The Year of the Witching

 


Title: The Year of the Witching      

Author:  Alexis Henderson

Synopsis: “A young woman living in a rigid, puritanical society discovers dark powers within herself in this stunning, feminist fantasy debut.

     “In the lands of Bethel, where the Prophet’s word is law, Immanuelle Moore’s very existence is blasphemy.  Her mother’s union with an outsider of a different race cast her once-proud family into disgrace, so Immanuelle does her best to worship the Father, follow Holy Protocol, and lead a life of submission, devotion, and absolute conformity, like all the other women in the settlement.

     “But a mishap lures her into the forbidden Darkwood surrounding Bethel, where the first prophet once chased and killed four powerful witches.  Their spirits are still lurking there, and they bestow a gift on Immanuelle: the journal of her dead mother, who Immanualle is shocked to learn once sought sanctuary in the wood.

     “Fascinated by the secrets in the diary, Immanuelle finds herself struggling to understand how her mother could have consorted with the witches.  But when she begins to learn grim truths about the Church and its history, she realizes the true threat to Bethel is its own darkness.  And she starts to understand that if Bethel is to change, it must begin with her.”

Review:  I both loved and hated this book.  What I loved:  The Year of the Witching is extremely well written.  It’s like I was right there, with Immanuelle, whom I really started to care about.  What I hated: The Year of the Witching is extremely well written.  It’s like I was right there, with Immanuelle, whom I really started to care about.  Remember, this is a horror novel, set in a dystopian, puritanical, secluded society… I spent most of the time battling feelings of anger and terror.  At one point I had to put down the book for over a week to work out my emotions. 

     I love the idea of a secluded, low tech, mostly agricultural society.  The Village is one of my favorite movies, please don’t judge me. The idea of a simpler life is very appealing to me.  However, you add in a crazy, blood thirsty Prophet who is also a sexual predator, evil witches who live in the dark ominous woods, and a bloody curse, and it’s no longer the idyllic place I would imagine.  I loved it.  I hated it.  I wanted to throw it against the wall.  I had to put it in time out.  And that is how you know it’s a fabulous book.  I highly recommend The Year of the Witching for any fans of horror, and I just cannot wait for the next book in the Bethel series.

 

Publisher:  Ace

If you like this book you may want to read:





The Once and Future Witches by Alix Harrow





Burn Our Bodies Down by Rory Power

1 comment:

  1. I found this on internet and it is really very nice.
    An excellent blog.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete