Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Review: The Return

 


Title:  The Return        

Author:  Rachel Harrison

Synopsis: “An edgy and haunting debut novel about a group of friends who reunite after one of them has returned from a mysterious two-year disappearance.

     “Julie is missing, and the missing don’t often return.  But Elise knows Julie better than anyone, and she feels in her bones that her best friend is out there, and that one day she’ll come back.  She’s right.  Two years to the day that Julie went missing, she reappears with no memory of where she’s been or what happened to her.”

Review:  I made the mistake of starting The Return at bedtime one night.  I like to read before bed to help me relax and push aside any worries of the day.  So, at 10pm (Ok, it was probably 9:30; I love bedtime.) I moisturized, grabbed a cat and my book, and climbed under the covers.  Next thing I knew it was 2am and I had read the whole book.  I was so frightened after I finished that I had to sleep with the lights on.  

Reading The Return was like driving by an accident.  Even though you kind of know what happened, and you know it’s going to be bad, you can’t help looking.  I had sort of figured out basically what was going on, but the main characters had no idea, and I couldn’t help speeding through the pages to find out what they were going to do.   I highly recommend The Return to fans of horror and the supernatural.

Publisher:  Berkley

If you like this book you may want to read:




Wonderland by Zoje Stage




The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher

No comments:

Post a Comment