Saturday, July 13, 2019

Salvation Day- Review



Title: Salvation Day    
Author: Kali Wallace
Synopsis:  “A lethal virus is awoken on an abandoned spaceship in this incredibly fast-paced, claustrophobic thriller.
     “They thought the ship would be their salvation.
     “Zahra knew every detail of the plan.  House of Wisdom, a massive exploration vessel, had been abandoned by the government of Earth a decade earlier, when a deadly virus broke out and killed everyone on board in a matter of hours.  But now it could belong to her people if they were bold enough to take it.  All they needed to do was kidnap Jaswinder Bhattacharya – the sole survivor of the tragedy, and the last person whose genetic signature would allow entry to the spaceship.
     “But what Zahra and her crew could not know was what waited for them on the ship – a terrifying secret buried by the government.  A threat to all of humanity that lay sleeping alongside the orbiting dead.
     “And then they woke it up.”

Review:  I absolutely loved this book.  Salvation Day starts off at a fast pace and doesn’t let up, there isn’t a single slow moment in all 320 pages.  The story is told from two points of view.  There is Zahra, who is from the Wastelands of North America.  She is a member of a cult who are among the outcasts of current civilization, who are looking for a home.  And there is Jas, an orphan and the sole survivor of a tragic viral outbreak on a spaceship.  He represents the civilization that Zahra’s cult family hates.  Normally I dislike head-hopping in a story told using first person narrative, but the author makes it work. 
     I purchased this novel at noon, and was finished reading it by 5pm.  I did take a short nap and eat lunch in there somewhere.  I got so into the story that I was seeing it happen in my head like an awesome science fiction/horror movie, think Aliens.  And as I was reading I just kept going faster and faster because the last third of the book is pretty much all climax and I just had to know what was going to happen.  Seriously, I thought my Kindle was going to start to glitch because of how fast I was tapping the screen to turn the pages.  Then, the ending was just so perfect that I had to just sit there for a moment to take in what had just happened.  I highly suggest Salvation Day as top priority Summer read.

Publisher:  Berkley
If you like this book you may want to read:



Alien: Echo by Mira Grant (Read BookGirlR’s review here)



Wanderers by Chuck Wendig (Read BookGirlR’s review here)



The Toll by Cherie Priest



The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling

No comments:

Post a Comment