Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Man with the Golden Torc - Review



Title:   The Man with the Golden Torc
Author:   Simon R. Green
Series:  Secret Histories #1

Synopsis:  “The name’s Bond.  Shaman Bond. 
     “Actually, that’s just my cover.  I’m Eddie Drood.  But when your job includes a license to kick supernatural arse on a regular basis, you find your laughs where you can.
     “For centuries, my family has been the secret guardian of humanity, all that stands between all of you and all of the really nasty things that go bump in the night.  As a Drood field agent I wore the golden torc, I killed monsters, and I protected the world.  I loved my job.
     “Right up to the point when my own family declared me rogue for no reason, and I was forced to go on the run.  Now the only people who can help me prove my innocence are the people who can help me prove my innocence are the people I used to consider my enemies.
     “I’m Shaman Bond, very secret agent.  And I’m going to prove to everyone that no one does it better than me.”

Review:  I’ve been very lucky with the books I’ve been choosing lately.  It has been awhile since I read a book I didn’t like.  (I originally made a typo and typed that as lick, a book I didn’t lick.  Well… If I like it well enough maybe…) I liked The Man with the Golden Torc.  I didn’t love it, but I liked it.  At first I had trouble getting into it.  I’m not sure why.  Perhaps it was the alignment of the moon?  The writing is good, the characters and story are entertaining, and yet I kept finding myself putting it down.  But I persevered because I was intrigued by the story and the plot, and I wanted to see how Green was going to pull Shaman Bond, uh… I mean Eddie Drood, out of his tight spot.  Once I reached the midpoint of the novel that was it.  There was no more putting it down.  I had to finish and find out what was going to happen as quickly as possible.  I wasn’t disappointed and you won’t be either.  I’ll be buying the next in the series soon.

Publisher:    Penguin/ Roc
ISBN:   978-0451462145

If you like this book you may want to read: 



Daemons are Forever (Secret Histories #2) by Simon R. Green



The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne (See BookGirlR's review of Hounded here)





The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

2 comments:

  1. I've been curious about Green's books for years now. I liked Hounded and Storm Front so I should give this one a try. Glad you enjoyed it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for reading my review. I hope you enjoy it too! Let me know what you think when you read it, I like to know how my recommendations work out.

      Delete