Sunday, July 13, 2014

Deadly Curiosities - Review



Title Deadly Curiosities
Author:  Gail Z. Martin
Series:  Deadly Curiosities #1

Synopsis:  “Welcome to Trifles & Folly, a store with a dark secret.  Proprietor Cassidy Kincaide continues a family tradition begun in 1670 – acquiring and neutralizing dangerous supernatural items.  It’s the perfect job for Cassidy, whose psychic gift lets her touch an object and know its history.  Together with her business partner Sorren, a 500-year-old vampire and former jewel thief, Cassidy makes it her business to get infernal objects off the market.
     “When a trip to a haunted hotel unearths a statue steeped in malevolent power, and a string of murders draws a trail to the abandoned old Navy yard, Cassidy and Sorren discover a diabolical plot to unleash a supernatural onslaught on their city.
     “It’s time for Kincaide and her team to get rid of these Deadly Curiosities before the bodies start piling up”

Review:  I had no idea this book was coming out.  I don’t know if I just haven’t been paying a lot of attention to new releases because money and time are getting a little tight (I’m getting married in 2 months to SuperSteve).  So a couple of weeks ago I gave myself a small shopping trip, because nothing calms my nerves like a trip to the bookstore.  I snatched Deadly Curiosities off of the shelf before my brain had fully processed what it was.  It had Gail Z. Martin’s name on it.  That’s all that mattered.  I love her Chronicles of the Necromancer Series and have read them multiple times.  It didn’t matter what this book was about.  It had to be mine.  Then I got home and set it on the table.  I looked at it. I was delighted to discover that it was an urban fantasy.  I didn’t start reading it right away because I knew that once I started that would be it, within a few days I would be finished reading it and I wouldn’t have a new Gail Z. Martin book to look forward to for awhile. 
     I’ve finished it now.  I’m very sad.  Even though I have many more perfectly good books waiting to be read, this one is done.  I will never get to read it for the first time again, and that first time was amazing.  Deadly Curiosities was awesome!  I loved everything about it.  The characters are wonderful, and I wish Teag was my gay best friend.  Sorren is mysterious and sexy, and Cassidy is the perfect combination of kick ass and smart.  The plot kept me on the edge of my seat right from the very beginning, and Gail Z. Martin’s storytelling abilities are always superb.  Go get this book now.  Oh, and Gail Z. Martin hurry up with the next one would you?  Thanks.

Publisher:   Solaris
ISBN:  978-1781082331

If you like this book you may want to read:



October Daye Series by Seanan McGuire




Agent of Hel Series by Jacqueline Carey




Chronicles of the Necromancer by Gail Z. Martin

3 comments:

  1. I've seen some mixed reviews for this but I'm glad to see that you loved it. At first I thought you were going to say you were disappointed until I saw the word amazing =) I haven't read anything by this author, but I definitely want to give this one a try.

    Congrats on the upcoming wedding.

    Cat @ Addicted 2 Heroines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Go read it! If you enjoy fantasy you should absolutely read her other novels too.
      And thank you. I'm not super excited about the wedding and reception (I'm an introvert and don't enjoy being the center of attention), but I am excited to be marrying a sweet and gentle person.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete