Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hard Magic - Review



Title: Hard Magic
Author: Laura Anne Gilman
Series: Paranormal Scene Investigations #1

Synopsis: "My name’s Bonnie Torres. Recent college grad, magic user and severely unemployed. Until I got a call out of nowhere to interview for a job I hadn’t applied for. It smelled fishy, but the brutal truth was I needed the work -- so off I went.
“Two days later I’m a PUPI – me and Nick, Shannon, Nifty and Pietr. Give twentysomethings, thrown into an entirely new career in forensic magic.
“The fist job we get is a doozy, proving that the deaths of two Talents were murder, not suicide. Worse, there are high-profile people who want us to close up shop and go away. We’re sniffing out things they’d rather keep buried.
“Looks as if this job is gonna get interesting. The only problem is, we’re making it up as we go along.”

Review: When you read as much as I do sometimes stories can all start to blend together. This is especially true with novels of the paranormal. It seems as if every author is writing stories about vampires, werewolves and the ditzy girls who love them. I find myself desperately wishing for something new. Hard Magic made me sit up and pay attention. Finally, a paranormal novel that isn’t about tragic love or alpha males who have to swoop in and save the poor tragic heroine ten times per chapter!
I loved Bonnie and the other members of PUPI. I was a little put off with Bonnie’s situation with her mentor. I wish that Gilman had found a way to allow Bonnie to take care of herself instead of having her mooch off of J for most of the book. It would have been easier for me to see her as a strong young woman if she had been struggling to support herself instead of living in the lap of luxury on J’s dime. Despite this one little downfall (which is just my own personal opinion and may not be a downfall for other readers) I loved this book. Read it!

Publisher: Luna
ISBN: 978-0373803132

Some other original novels of the paranormal you don't want to miss:



Heart of Stone (Negotiator Trilogy #1) by C.E. Murphy (ISBN: 978-0373802920)




Storm Front (Dresden Files #1) by Jim Butcher (ISBN: 978-0451457813)

No comments:

Post a Comment