Thursday, February 3, 2011

Catalyst - Review



Title: Catalyst: A Tale of the Barque Cats
Authors: Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
Series: Barque Cats

Synopsis: “Pilot, engineer, doctor – ship’s cat? Since the early days of interstellar travel, the so-called Barque Cats have become essential to the well-staffed space vessel. Assisted by humans – Cat Persons – with whom they share a deep and loving bond, the Barque Cats are responsible for keeping spacecraft free of vermin, for alerting crews to environmental hazards, and for acting as morale officers.
“But a widespread epidemic affecting livestock on numerous planets throws the felines’ future into doubt. Suddenly the galactic government announces a plan to impound and possibly destroy all exposed animals, including the Barque Cats. With the clock racing against them, a handful of very special kittens and their humans will join forces to save the Barque Cats, and quite possibly the universe as they know it, from total destruction.”

Review: I should know better than to start reading an Anne McCaffrey book at bedtime. I stayed up all night last night reading. Plus, it’s about cats (in case you haven’t noticed I love cats), cats that are in danger. There was no way I could have stopped reading after I started. I became so emotionally involved in this story that even if my apartment had been on fire I would have been reading, holding the book in one hand and my cat in the other, as I ran out. Catalyst is a wonderful novel with vibrant characters that dragged me into the story. It takes a special novel to force me to become emotionally involved. I usually maintain a detached calm (with books and life). I highly recommend this novel and can’t wait to buy the next one.

Publisher: Del Rey
ISBN: 978-0345513779

If you like this book you may want to read:



No One Noticed the Cat by Anne McCaffrey (ISBN: 978-1557423245)



Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (ISBN: 978-0886773786)

No comments:

Post a Comment