Saturday, September 25, 2010

Beastly-Review


Title: Beastly

Author: Alex Flinn

Synopsis: “I am a beast. A beast. Not quite wolf or gorilla or dog, but a horrible new creature with fangs, claws, and hair springing from every pore. I am a walking monster.
“You think I’m talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. And I’ll stay this way forever – unless I can break the spell.
“Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I’ll tell you. I’ll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, the perfect girl, and the perfect life. And then, I’ll tell you how I became perfectly… beastly.”


Review: Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairytale. Out of all the familiar childhood tales this is the only one where the woman saves the day. However, this is not so in Beastly. Flinn has neglected the best part of Beauty and the Beast. That being said, this was still a pretty good book. I liked how Flinn used a YA book to teach a lesson without being overly preachy about it. Kyle, the main character has to learn that life is not all about good looks and money. A witch decides to teach him that lesson by turning him into a beast, but because of a small kindness he had done she gives him two years to find someone to love who can love him back in spite of the way he looks.
The format of this book is cool and different. Separating the parts of the book are sections that look like a print-out of a chat room. This is an online conversation that Kyle (BeastNYC) is having with others who have been transformed, generally against their will. I thought this was refreshing and certainly something that readers of YA fiction can relate too.
I also wanted to mention that Beastly is being made into movie currently set to be released March 2011. Here is a trailer for the movie:





Publisher: Harper Teen
ISBN: 978-0061998669
If you like this book you may want to read:

A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn (ISBN: 978-0060874216)

Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (ISBN: 978-0441005833)

1 comment:

  1. I love this book. I use to ignore it before not until I saw the movie trailer. I just finished it in a day and I'm looking forward to the movie. Too bad they move the release date to March 2011 instead of July 31, 2010.

    ReplyDelete