Tuesday, January 3, 2012

First Grave on the Right - Review




Title:  First Grave on the Right
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Charley Davidson #1


Synopsis:  “Charley Davidson is a part-time private investigator and full-time grim reaper.  Meaning, she sees dead people.  Really.  And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light”.  But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (like murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice.  Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an entity who has been following her all her life… and it turns out he might not be dead after all.  In fact, he might be something else entirely.  But what does he want with Charley?  And why can’t she seem to resist him?  And what does she have to lose by giving in?”

Review:  First Grave on the Right is a seductive read.  I love paranormal romance novels, but sometimes I get sick of thinking a novel is going to be something new and different only to find out it’s the same old vampire/werewolf story.  Now don’t get me wrong, I love my vampire and shape shifter stories.  But sometimes I crave something different.  First Grave on the Right fulfilled that craving. 
          I also love a good ghost story.  Charley’s attitude toward the ghosts in her life cracked me up!  There’s Aunt Lillian who makes nonexistent coffee which Charley pretends to drink, and Mr. Habersham whose sole ambition in the afterlife seems to be to see Charley naked.  I like Ms. Jones’ writing style.  It only took me three hours to read First Grave on the Right because I simply could not put it down!  The scenes with Reyes were hot.  Hell, as a bad boy/protector figure Reyes himself is super hot!  I found Charley Davidson to be a highly sarcastic and fun character, and I highly recommend reading First Grave on the Right ASAP.

For an excerpt and some fun facts about First Grave on the Right see the authors website here.

Publisher:  St. Martin’s Press
ISBN:  978-0312360801

If you like this book you may want to read:



Grave Witch by Kalayna Price  (ISBN: 978-0451463807)



The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (ISBN: 978-0778329817)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun read, and it reminds me a little of a show on HBO called Dead like Me, which was shot here in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that show! This book is very different, much more romance, but the idea of being a grim reaper is similar. Minus the team of grim reapers and the grumpy boss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm normally not into books like this but this book sounds fun. And I LOVED Dead Like Me so if they are similar at all it must be a winner!

    ReplyDelete